If you suspect that you have virus on your PC, then you should remove it as quickly as possible. There are many types of computer viruses out there that can harm your computer, put your personal information at risk, and cause your computer to exhibit multiple problems. Luckily, there are several programs available that can assist you with removing viruses from your PC.
To begin the removal process, it is always a wise decision to remove programs that are started automatically when your computer turns on. This is necessary, because it can actually prevent many malicious programs from loading in the first place, which makes it easier to remove them with software. In order to prevent programs from loading when your computer starts you need to go through a few steps:
1. For Windows XP users, click on the ‘Start’ icon on the bottom left hand side of your screen, followed by clicking on ‘Run’. You then need to type ‘msconfig’ without the quotes and hit enter to open the program. If you have Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you simply need to begin typing ‘msconfig’ in the space provided at the bottom of the menu that says ‘Search programs and files’ followed by hitting the enter key to open it.
2. Once the program is open you will see 5 options located on the top of the screen. You need to click the ‘Startup’ tab. Once you are in here, you will want to click ‘Disable All’ which is located on the bottom right hand side of the screen. After this, simply click ‘Apply’.
3. Reboot the machine.
Now that we have completed this step, we can move on to the actual process of removing the viruses from your machine. One of the most popular programs for removing malicious software is called Malwarebytes. There is a free version available, and it does a pretty solid job at removing the majority of malicious software. To begin the removal process:
1. Download Malwarebytes over at http://www.malwarebytes.org and follow the installation instructions listed on the page.
2. Once installed, it will automatically update the latest virus definitions and you can begin using the program.
3. Once open, the program will present you with a screen where you will have a couple of choices. You can either run a full scan, or a quick scan. Full Scan is the best choice; it will scan every file, active process, and registry entry on your machine to check for any infections. To begin the scan, click the ‘Full Scan’ box followed by clicking the ‘Scan’ button. The scan will begin, this can take quite some time as it has a lot of files to scan through.
4. Once the scan is complete, you will be notified as to how many infections were detected. You can then click ‘Show Results’ to view all the different items that were detected. Make sure all the items have a check mark by them, and then click ‘Remove Selected’. It will remove all of the items that were detected from your machine and notify you if it was successful removing them all. Afterward, you will need to reboot your machine to complete the removal.
This process usually removes the majority of viruses, worms, and other malicious software from a PC. To protect yourself in the future from malicious software infecting your machine, it is a good idea to install Anti-virus software that will attempt to detect malicious programs before they actually infect your computer. There are many options out there to choose from, some of the more popular companies that produce Anti-Virus software are McAfee, Norton, and Symantec. Keep in mind that these do usually cost money. Some of them charge a one-time fee, while others operate on a subscription basis. For free alternatives, you can check out Avast, Avira, and AVG.